What a wonderful weekend spent with a great friend at the Midwest Homeschool Convention. I had been told I would be overwhelmed and I employed the "smile and nod" while I scoffed at those well-meaning individuals. I've been to conventions before, this was gonna be pure fun! Well, those well-meaning individuals were absolutely, without a shadow of doubt RIGHT! It was so overwhelming!!! And yet, I was right too. It was SO MUCH FUN!!!
The convention started Thursday night at 5 and by noon or so Friday we figured out that we had planned to do too much. We had chosen too many sessions and were rushing too much to get anything out of any of them. So at lunch we made some serious cuts to our schedules. That is when it got MUCH more fun!
The first "walk-through" of the exhibition hall took about 6 hours, I think. But there was so much information and so many things to look at. I came home with a stack of new resources that I am going to make a list and keep track of...from things like second hand books to art supplies to historical craft kits to new books and curriculums to theatre groups that come and in one week help your homeschool group kids put on a show. There was everything!! It was so energizing once I figured it out.
I went to several sessions about Charlotte Mason (check out info here if you are curious) and will be implementing several of her ideas in our next school year. Actually, I'm starting a few now. I also went to a session called "Teaching Boys and other Children who would rather build Forts all day." The title caught my attention (having all boys) but it was so full of information. That was my favorite session.
We had tickets to see Tim Hawkins live. He is ABSOLUTELY HYSTERICAL!!! I'm not sure but I think we may have frightened the little tween boys sitting in front of us. It was just a hoot!! If you ever have a chance to hear him...TAKE IT!!! Here is a little clip and it is WELL worth the download. It is called "Things you don't say to your wife."
We stayed up till 2 in the morning Friday night just talking in the hotel room. My friend is going to start homeschooling her kids next fall and although we have been close friends in the past we are in a rebuilding stage now and it was great to get to talk to her without kids and husbands and other distractions.
I bought several of our curriculums for next year. Science, phonics, and math are all bought and either here or coming. I am still undecided on what to do for social studies/history but have some thoughts. Spelling, writing, etc will all be done for free with ideas from Charlotte Mason. I got loads of art supplies and fun stuff.
Since we had been in a convention hall breathing old air for 3 days, we decided to get outside and go for a walk. Cincinnati is a beautiful city...and we walked to Kentucky just for fun!!! And since we were close to them we stopped at Whole Foods and IKEA before we came home....so worth the trip!!!Whew! Just typing it all out makes me worn out all over again.
The boys stayed with mom and dad for the weekend so Shane could turkey hunt. Everyone is tired and going to bed early tonight!
1 comment:
My DH and I are going to our state convention in May (have to take our 5 yo DD). We won't have Tim Hawkins, though--I'm jealous! :)
Your boys are so CUTE.
Susan W from FG :)
Post a Comment