Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Panamo



A friend of a friend was looking for a home for their old piano (pronounced panamo by Griffin). I mentioned to my friend that I was thinking about getting a keyboard and doing some lessons with Aiden next year. And she said, I know someone who has a piano they are trying to find a home for. And I said "I'll take it" :-)

We've been trying to make the "swap" for several weeks and it finally worked out last night. It took quite a while to get it home but we did. It is extremely heavy so I should thank dad, Shane, and 2 of my cousins for their muscle in moving it. It needs tuned (but not badly) and 2 keys need a new "strap" (they don't pop back up) but it is BEAUTIFUL old upright.


Griffin playing the "new panamo"

From what the previous owner told us (and the stamp under the lid), it is a Seybold piano made in 1915. Seybold's were made in Elgin, IL by a company that went under during the depression. When the tuner comes (someday) I hope to ask for help finding the serial number so I can do more research on these pianos.

I am excited to start re-learning to play. I can sit and do a little but I would love to be able to play something well. It is something I regret whining about and quitting when I was a kid. I don't regret quitting track or volleyball or tennis...I was never going to be good at sports. But I am good at music and I wish I could play. So kids, listen to your mom and PRACTICE YOUR PIANO! You will be thankful for it someday.



No comments: