Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The beginning of the end...

in more ways than one!

I breast fed all 3 boys for some length of time.  Aiden for almost a year, Maverick for 5 months and I am pushing a year with Griffin.  After a discussion with Shane last night, we decided that I would start weaning Griffin.  I have been thinking about it for while but he is just now 10 1/2 months and I didn't want to do it too soon.  The doctor says I need to nurse him till he is a year but I am just ready to give it up and I think he is too.  He has only been nursing before nap and before bed.  If we are out and about he skips the nap-time one with ease.  So I am cutting that one first.  Today was the first day and it has gone great.  He went down for his nap easily with a cup of milk and then some rocking and, of course, Puppy blanket.  He is sleeping peacefully.  Yeah!  I am planning to have him weaned by around the start of October...only a month earlier than recommended...not too shabby.

The other end isn't as exciting for me.  Aiden seems to be giving up naps altogether.  It makes me sad because  a little quiet time for me during the day makes for a much happier mommy.  That makes me feel a little selfish BUT who doesn't need a break.  It is also hard cause he doesn't play quietly very well and I feel like I am telling him to be quiet for the WHOLE afternoon while the little guys are sleeping.  But he is growing up and I guess this is to be expected.  He is sleeping in a little longer but that doesn't help me cause the little guys still get up at 6:30 or so.  I am going to start adding a little to his school day while the little boys are napping....some handwriting and bigger boy memory work (like his address and phone number).  I am also trying to read Charlotte's Web aloud.  Once I get it settled in my brain that he isn't going to nap, I think it will actually be nice to have some time with him to do big kid stuff.

I guess both things are an indication that my little guys are growing up and becoming big guys.  It is sad and exciting all at the same time.  I guess I just need to get ready for the next chapter!

1 comment:

Jace said...

If its any consolation we never really grow up. We just get older!