Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Blow Out Baby!

Griffin has been eating some vegetables every day. He loves them and is doing so well with them. The downside is that he hasn't pooped since Monday. So yesterday (Wednesday) I didn't give him any veggies but only nursed him. OK, I know that veggies are high in fiber and all but compared to breast milk and a totally liquid diet they are really solid...even the pureed kind. So, anyway, this morning I picked Griffin up and was gathering some things from one room to take into another room and I thought "what is that smell?" For some reason, the thought that it may be Griffin did not occur to me. So I kept going. Then I looked down and saw the orange streak on my arm...yes orange. For those who don't have little ones...the veggies come out virtually the same color as they go in. So...sweet potatoes + carrots= ORANGE poop! And it stinks MUCH worse than breast milk poop which is actually not bad at all. He had blown poop up his back to his shoulder blades and out both leg holes of his diaper. I guess it is also important to mention that although the poop changes color with orange veggies...it doesn't really change in consistency...it is really really "loose." It is a lot like bright orange liquid. I think he feels better. He has since blown it all up his back again. Now he is sleeping! All that work wore him out!

In honor of the morning, my friend, Amy, sent me this email...quite funny!


(This is a true story. If you have children you will probably relate to this father.)

As ham sandwiches go, it was perfection: a thick slab of ham on a fresh bun with crisp lettuce and plenty of expensive, light brown, gourmet mustard. The corners of my jaw aching in anticipation, I carried it to the table in our backyard, picked it up with both hands but was stopped by my wife suddenly at my side.

'Here, hold Johnny (our six-week-old son) while I get my sandwich,' she said.

I had him balanced between my left elbow and shoulder and was reaching again for the ham sandwich when I noticed a streak of mustard on my fingers.

I love mustard.

I had no napkin.

I licked it off.

It was not mustard..

No man ever put a baby down faster. It was the first and only time I have sprinted with my tongue protruding.

With a washcloth in each hand, I did the sort of routine shoeshine boys act; only I did it on my tongue.

Later, after she stopped crying from laughing so hard, my wife said, 'Now you know why they call that fancy mustard . 'Poupon.'

2 comments:

Jace said...

Oh so thats what that was the other day. Silly me thought it was just some kind of dip for the quiche. Nice!

Jennifer said...

I laughed so hard, i almost had an accident on my couch! love your blog, just thought I would post!