It is amazing how topics of conversations change as we have children. The things parents of young children talk about would be shocking to many non-parents. For example, bodily functions...namely pooping. It has become a very important and often talked about event in our house...even over dinner or on the phone with friends. I am constantly thinking about it and trying to keep track of it. Every day I ask myself...
Did Aiden poop? Did Maverick poop? How many times has Griffin pooped?
Where did they poop? Did they wipe (and where)? Did they flush? Did they wash their hands?
Did they get any anywhere (because diapers and pull-ups are NOT leak proof)?
I spend time sitting in the bathroom with Maverick trying to convince him to poop on the potty. We read books about pooping (thanks Uncle George). I pretend to poop to get Maverick to try while sitting on the toilet. We push and grunt and get excited about farting noises echoing in the bowl of the toilet. We have little potty's and big potty's and potty seats to make the big potty have a smaller hole so little butts don't fall in. We reward pooping in the potty with candy...often hershey kisses.
We also consider consistency and Maverick is very interested in the color of his poop so I often must describe it in detail while cleaning him up. He also is always quick to point out as I am wiping his butt that "We don't eat "fill in color" poop." I am glad that he reminds me.
Maverick has also started picking random things up in the yard, bringing them to me and asking..."Is this poop?" My response is usually, "No, but if you think something may be poop...PLEASE do NOT pick it up!!!"
Our newest poop adventure is Griffin. He has not pooped since Thursday. So today is day 6 with no poop. Now we are going to the chiropractor to try to make him poop. I am doing belly massage per Dr. Bloomburg's instruction, and he gets adjusted and acupressure at the chiropractor again today. Dr. Bloomburg told me to expect poop sometime yesterday after his appointment...but, alas, no poop from him...Aiden and Maverick both pooped (I must keep track you know). So today I called the pediatrician's office and was given more instructions. He is supposed to drink 3 oz of pedialyte a day. I tried that...but he hasn't learned how to use a cup well so he just became a red sticky mess and the stuff tastes nasty anyway. And he has never had a bottle and I don't have any "in" slots. AND I am supposed to do rectal stimulation...yes you read that right. I am supposed to use my finger and a washcloth and (in the nurse's words) "gently massage in the anal area." Isn't that just lovely?!?! And you know what...I am so desperate for the kid to just poop that I tried it. Still no luck!
So...I guess I have several more years of keeping track of the pooping habits of several little boys in my house. Shane is on his own on this one. I can't be held responsible. And potty humor will continue to be a big portion of my life. If you aren't a parent you may not understand this...if you are then likely this is a big part of your life too. Either way...healthy pooping habits make for a happier household. When the baby hasn't pooped for nearly a week...NOBODY is happy!
5 comments:
This is so funny I could hardly keep from laughing out loud, alone, in my office.
Ran across this quote, and just had to share it...
"We have been conditioned not to talk about it," said Jack Sim, the Singaporean businessman who founded the World Toilet Organisation, which runs the annual event. "We have had women's liberation, sex revolution, workers' revolution, we can talk about everything now -- the toilet is the last taboo which must be broken," he said.
Amen, brother. That's exactly what we're talking about. The Brown Revolution: breaking the last taboo. Making poop not a thing of mockery, not a thing of shame, but just a thing that we all do.
Where exactly did you run across that quote?!?! It is funny but how do you "run across" a quote like that?
Take a breath, remind yourself of who you are talking to, and ask that question again ;)
You had it memorized didn't you! It is one of those obscure yet vitally important things you keep filed away in your brain....hahaha
Post a Comment