Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

Still trying to figure him out...

So I got the paperwork for Maverick's referral. There is a boatload to fill out and then it says a several MONTH wait. Are they kidding?!?!?! Unfortunately, not so much kidding!

An e-friend who I asked about the daily planner ideas suggested we try the Feingold Association. She gave me a link to their website and I went and checked it out. There is a registration fee and then you get their official food list and paperwork. I wasn't sure that it was worth the investment. I talked with my e-friend about it and she is so convinced in the program that we decided to try it. Our starter packet came last Friday. The official food list is 200 pages long...yep, 200! There are 2 phases of the program and each stage is 100 pages of acceptable foods. Acceptable brand names are listed. It comes with a restaurant guide and an explanation of the program and who Dr. Feingold is. We also got a book called "Why Can't My Child Behave!?!?!" That is a good read too.

We purged our cabinets of all the unacceptable foods over the weekend and went shopping last night. It really isn't about eating wierd things or whatever (although we do that anyway)...it is about buying brands of food that do not have synthetic dyes and flavoring. On the plan, we will also avoid BHA, BHT, and TBHQ. We will use only REAL sweeteners (sugar and honey). For the first 6 weeks, we are also eliminating natural salicylates (what are those???). Well, many (but not all) fruits....apples, all berries (including strawberries ): ) , tomatoes, peppers, peaches, oranges, etc. But after we see results we will start adding those back in one at a time to watch for reactions.

This evening I have a book party and I am going to be able to get away early so I'm going back to Walmart to buy things to make cleaning supplies...vinegar, baking soda, etc. We will cut the synthetic dyes and scents from that area of our house as well. Then I'll purge the laundry room and bathrooms as well.

I know that all of this sounds extreme. I am doing it and it sounds extreme and a little hard. But it is also hard dealing with behavior issues. Today started with kicking, screaming, punching, throwing, and (for the first time) strangling. That isn't easy either. So we started this morning. It can take anywhere from a few days to several weeks to see a response. I am so hoping for a few days!! I hope I can cancel the appointment with the new doctor whenever it is we might have an appointment and tell them that it is all better. I really don't want to hear that he needs drugs...I'm hoping that a simple change in the chemicals we keep in our house is enough.

You know even if you don't have a "target child" who you think needs help. There are a lot of icky things in our food. It has been eye opening regardless of how it helps (although I really really think it is going to help). And if we try just a little bit and pay attention to what we buy we can really avoid many of them easily with a little support.

Oh, I'll give a report on the "daily planner" I spent so much time on and was so proud of. Aiden likes it pretty well. Maverick (who it is supposed to be helping) screamed, threw it across the kitchen and said "I DON'T WANT TO DO THE PLANNER ANYMORE!!!!!" this morning. I'll keep trying though.

4 comments:

Amanda H. said...

I googled the Feingold Diet yesterday after chatting with you FB. I hadn't the time to "read" the entire site but did see the basics. It makes sense. What I gleaned out of it--for folks like us w/o a Maverick--is that it is really just common sense, especially when eating, ya' know. I wish you the best of luck on it. I remember when Steve was in Korea how I bought alot more organic, all-natural foods and how much better I felt. Unfortunately, several things have changed in our lives that made doing that much harder: the addition of Levi, the loss of Steve's extra pay (let's face it--organic is more expensive), and living in Germany and not having the access to some of the places I depended on to purchase these things. I wish it were easier for me to get back on that "system."

BTW...a friend of mine whose little boy is in Zeke's class, told me that their whole family is on a gluten-free diet to help control Wyatt--the son's--ADHD and that it works wonders. So...just thought you could keep that in your brain file if the Feingold alone doesn't work.

Mrs. Carr said...

Kelli
I think it is wonderful that you and your entire family are making such dramatic changes in your eating habits in order to help Maverick instead of immediately placing him on drugs. Who knows, it might come to that but at least you are exploring other outlets first! Bravo to you guys!
Carrie

the Queen :) said...

Thanks guys. We are almost 2 weeks in and although we have had a few slip-ups, we are doing well. I am hopeful that this is going to help a lot.

The SACC Write Sisters said...

Wow, that's a lot for you, but if it helps it will be worth it! Hang in there, mom! Theresa