On Wednesday Mom and I made 10 pints of ketchup. In my More With Less Cookbook, I had found a recipe for home canned ketchup that I wanted to try. Mom found 2 #10 cans of diced tomatoes (that's 2 gallons of tomatoes) that were going to be thrown away at church (they had been donated and were not being used). So instead of throwing them away she brought them home and we decided to try the ketchup NOT using our tomatoes for the first time. It takes a while since it has to simmer for 1 1/2 hours but man is it worth it. It is so yummy and it was cheap to make. We got 10 pints from the 2 cans since we had to drain off much of the liquid before we started. I am so excited about it. The official taste testers (Aiden and Maverick) both gave 2 thumbs up. Now I really really hope our tomatoes do well this year so we can do another batch or so in addition to canning diced tomatoes.
The boys have been doing really well this week with their chore charts and they beg to have school each morning. It is SO nice! Of course, next week is full of things to do AND a full moon so we have a long way to fall. Today we started learning about reptiles and Aiden asked to draw some. This is his paper.
Menards has called a couple times this week. All of the pieces for our garage are ready for delivery. Unfortunately, I had them postpone our delivery dates. With all the rain we've gotten there is no way the concrete can be poured. So there is no reason to have the lumber sitting here. And I'm not sure the concrete trucks will be able to get in very well with lumber and huge trusses laying around. So now we wait. I am also afraid they will call about pouring concrete while Shane and dad are turkey hunting and not home. I will have to say no because they have to be here to do the plumbing in the concrete. Oh, timing is everything! I now understand a little bit how some friends, my cousins, feel. They have been waiting to have their brand new modular home set for 2 months now but the rain is holding them off. I'm impatient waiting for a garage...a home is so much more a big deal!!!
Well, that is the weekly scoop on our family...next week will be crazy with a day out on Monday (the big boys are going to a friend's house but don't know it), eye doctor on Tuesday, a project for me with the Children's Ministry on Thursday and a dr appt on Friday that only I am going to. Whew! It wears me out just thinking about it! We gotta fit school in there too. Yikes!!!
I'm gonna keep posting though.
No comments:
Post a Comment