Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Farmhouse Biology!

Today, Aiden asked if we knew how a rooster loves a hen.  We answered no, we don't.  I was curious to where this was going but not so sure I wanted to know what he thought.  Oh well, nothing like plunging in.  He tells me that the rooster jumps on her, like this.  He then jumps with both feet forward a few inches.  Nanny asked where Aiden learned this and he said, "I can see him do it out in the yard."  For those of  you who don't have chickens in your yard...this is the mating style of chickens.  The rooster jumps on a hen's back and grabs her comb (the red thing on the tops of their heads).  It only lasts a few seconds but it is disturbing (or it was for me the first few times I saw it).  I actually thought he was attacking the hens the first few times and would chase them and make him go away...oops!  Aiden has apparently noticed and drawn the conclusion that is how a rooster loves a hen!


And people think you have to have a book to learn!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

thanks for the farmhouse biology! Now I know what they are doing. Isn't it nice to know our children notice "mating" on animals before we do sometimes!