Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Attitude is Everything!

So it has been a rough week with sickness and general grumpiness. Most of the grumpiness is mine. Griffin has not been sleeping well at night and, therefore, neither have I. Maverick has been slightly sick all week with a runny nose, cough and a fever. But not sick enough to slow him down. On Tuesday it actually climbed to 104 which was a bit scary. We are on the mend it seems. The runny nose and cough continues and Griffin has picked up the cough but the fevers are going down.

Last night Griffin was up twice...the first time he threw up all over me (from coughing too hard) and the second time he pooped everywhere. It was not a good night sleep. He was up for the day at 6. Aiden and Maverick followed shortly after at 6:15. They crawled in my bed where I was pretending that I was still sleeping and at 6:18 started fighting. "He's touching me." "I need some covers." etc. I think I said if you guys don't like laying here next to each other then you can go back in your own beds. It didn't happen. I said a quick and desperate prayer for more sleep...when that one wasn't immediately answered...I prayed for patience, even more desperately. At around 7 I gave up the sleep as a loss and we went into the living room and turned on PBS....and my first prayer for sleep was answered. The big boys watched PBS while I dozed on the couch with Griffin snuggled on my belly. Such a sweet thing that I don't get to enjoy often and this is my last chance at snuggling any of my babies while they sleep. When I woke again...I prayed again for patience because I was still just so sleepy.

What could have been a bad start to a continually bad day didn't turn out that way. I try and most often fail (it seems) at turning a bad start around. I have a hard time kicking the grumpies. But today, I decided to find a way to make a happy day. And we did. We had a great time and lots of learning. We played Candy Land twice. Aiden and maverick both won a game, and I was a good sport. We did our calendar time and Maverick is getting the days of the week. Yeah! Aiden is learning to read and we did a lesson and he is starting to read simple words (ie, mat). He is so proud of himself as am I. We read some good books and just had fun. Even I got a few things checked off my list....4 loads of laundry (I thank God for all the rain we're getting right now), a loaf of bread made and most importantly...a nap while they napped! And they did nap for over 3 hours...and ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!! I even got to play online a little while and found a really cool new website with a bunch of family related crafts. and other stuff. We are making one of the crafts tomorrow! Here is a link in case you are curious http://familycorner.com/

There are days that I think I could sell all 3 boys (well, mostly the older, mouthier ones) to any passing peddler...and today could have been one of those days. But with prayer and a decision to change MY attitude (along with a rare cup of coffee), we turned a rainy, dreary day into a day of fun and learning. What a blessing!

No comments: