Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Back in the GROOVE!

I am risking a jinx today but it is just too exciting not to go ahead and share....

We seem to be getting back in our groove. After our vacation at the beginning of October and then a few weeks of illness, we have STRUGGLED to get any school work done. Sure, we've done it but it came with much weeping and gnashing of teeth. From the kids and from me. We have really just had a hard time of it.

Now, we have 2 weeks left in our first term (we do three 12 week terms instead of 2 longer semesters) and we've had two, count them TWO, good school days in a row. No crying, no weeping, no whining, no gnashing of teeth. Aiden even did extra phonics today to catch up from some of the sick days, with NO CRYING!!! And Aiden and Maverick took turns reading from the beginner section of their Science text. It was harder reading than they are used to and although I had to help, it went really well. Aiden got all his math problems right. Maverick is doing great with his math. And their handwriting has improved so much (especially Aiden!).

Last week, if asked, I think I would have said that I was failing. I wasn't sure they were really learning anything. And I felt like I we did was fight about getting school (or anything else) done. And I wasn't sure I was winning those battles often enough. I expect those days to come and go and I don't expect great days all the time...but, man, having two in a row is like coming up for fresh air. On days like today (and yesterday), I am glad to homeschool three busy boys. I am glad to be home. I am glad to get to see the light come on when they do something they haven't done before.

Now I had planned to take December to do some extra Christmas related studies instead of our normal school load but after finally finding a groove that seems to be working...I am not willing to risk losing it again. Grooves can be hard to find and also seem easy to lose. We will just add projects and baking to our existing school load. It is different enough that I expect they will enjoy it anyway...and we keep our groove! (I hope!)

Now since, we have extra time that wasn't wasted crying or by other means of driving me crazy...and the weather is beautiful, we are going outside. Gotta take advantage of that Vitamin D while we've got it. Of course, thanks to good ole Daylight "savings" time, it will be dark at 5:30.

It is a happy happy day!!!

1 comment:

LucisMomma said...

So glad you had two good days! I totally understand. May you have many more!

I LOVE your picture at the top of the blog (the header? is that the name?), and the mud along the sides. Perfect for a blog about growing up with BOYS.