It is hard to believe that January of 2010 has come and gone. I haven't even practiced writing 2010 since I don't really write checks anymore. It will be 2011 before I'm consistently using 2010. The weather is still well, icky. Gray days, cold nights, and not even a little snow to brighten the landscape around here. But inside with the fire burning in the stove and friends over every Tuesday (that's today, Yeah!) we are having a great start to the new year. A weight loss challenge with those friends is going well (mostly well for Shane so far I've gained a pound).
Shane spoke at a small church in Hidalgo last Sunday. He actually filled in for the minister during Sunday morning church. He was nervous but he did a great job. His message was recorded to send in to Creation Ministries International for approval. If they approve, he will be given speaking engagements in this area from them. We are hopeful.
Aiden finally lost a tooth the old fashioned way. Last fall he had to have 2 baby teeth pulled because the big teeth came in too far back and didn't push the babies out. This one got loose and disgusting. After much weeping and gnashing of teeth (pun intended), the tooth finally fell out in my hand. I think Shane was disappointed because he dealt with all the hysterics and I was the "lucky" one who "pulled" the tooth. Just like the guy who finally gets the lid off the pickle jar when everyone else has loosened it up first. haha After it was out, Aiden was thrilled and Shane and I were both a little disgusted with all the theatrics. The tooth fairy gave him a dollar and he is trying to find another to wiggle.
The big boys did get to spend a winter afternoon outside with Pappy this weekend. True to form, Pappy threw safety to the wind and helped them make a luge (like at the olympics). In his defense, I'm sure they were not in mortal danger at any time. They knocked the ice down in the ditches where the water had frozen and then run out. That created a tunnel of ice. He pulled them and then whipped them by to get them going fast and then let go. I guess they went down the "luge" and bounced off the sides and loved it. They also threw pieces of ice across a frozen pond and watched how far it went. They had a great time and no injuries were sustained.
We are doing a unit on Knights and Castles for school right now. Learning about how to become a knight and why castles were built and armor and weapons, etc etc. With boys in the house it has been a huge hit! They woke up and played knights before I was even out of bed. One evening they made Shane and I crowns and we were the king and queen. (they pretend to be Jacks which shows they prefer card playing to medieval history). To finish out the unit we are learning about chivalry and heraldry. We will write our own code of chivalry and they will each draw their own coat of arms. Then on to the next unit----Abraham Lincoln. :)
Aiden now has a cough and snotty nose and may be losing his voice. It makes sleeping and all that hard. He still feels good enough to play and all but then coughs and gets all mad about it. At least, it is just a cough which is so much easier to deal with than stomach or digestive issues. :)
I guess that's about it for now. Things go by day to day and nothing seems particularly exciting...but there is always something going on. I'm off to start school and make bread. Tonight our friends are coming over and we are having "international night." I don't know what all we are having but it is all supposed to have international flare. I'm making baguettes and have some Brie. Cherish was a missionary in Puerto Rico and she is in charge of the main dish and drink. And the Martell's are bringing dessert...it is going to be fun!!! The kids may not agree! lol!
No comments:
Post a Comment