I feel like I am learning some lessons that I should have learned at least a few years ago. I really struggle with needing to be in control of a situation. I am a planner. I like to know what is going to happen and to make sure things "go off without a hitch." This is a blessing and curse. I volunteer for things that require planning...ie VBS coordinator at church (which I LOVE doing), a coordinator for the K-4th graders at church with a friend, notice a trend. I just like the planning and setting things up part of life. I also try to be flexible and "roll with the punches" when things do not go as planned. Sometimes this is hard and creates much stress on me. I don't want whatever that was planned to be unsuccessful...I don't want to get lost on a trip, I don't want to trip going onto a stage, I don't want to forget the words to my song (that happened during the Star Spangled Banner in HIGH SCHOOL and I haven't sang it since...12 years later). Shane makes fun of me for all my lists. He says that I make lists of the lists I need to make...which is stretching things just a LITTLE too far. But I enjoy making the list and the feeling of crossing it off the list. Sometimes when I make a list of household chores for the day, I put a few things on there that I already have done so I can start with something crossed off the list...it makes me feel better.
So what am I learning? What is the point of all this rambling? Yesterday, I was planning our school for the next 2 weeks. We are starting on Day 5 of Creation. On Day 5 God created the fish of the sea and the birds of the air. For the next 2 weeks we will be focusing on fish and frogs. Can't be any more fun than that for a house full of boys!! We will also be learning some basics on parameters in math starting with playing the "dots game." I really want to do another lapbook. Is this important? Not really but I searched for a few hours online for things to put in the lapbook though because it is part of "the plan." I found several things about frogs that were age appropriate and I thought we could do. Fish, however, were not going well. The things I found were either about "fishing" or were way over our level. I was bummed and irritated that "my plan" was not working. I finally gave up in frustration although a little disappointed that the lapbook would not be "even." I thought the fish were getting a raw deal...and not enough attention in this "all important lapbook." Then my mom and dad came over with some new camo for the boys. And what else did they have...2 activity books about FISH IN ILLINOIS!!! It was surreal. All the information I wasted my whole afternoon trying to find was dropped in my lap. And then I found a "capture the fish" game in the activity book that is basically a game of dots. I nearly fell off the couch.
So this lesson for me was that, although planning things ahead is not necessarily bad, when we overplan it gives God less opportunity to show us what HE has planned. Granted, He is able to interject whenever He sees fit and does when our plans are interrupted or otherwise "ruined." But as I was looking through the books from my parents, I was amazed that on the internet where I can usually find anything, God blocked those paths to show me that He will provide for me...not only my needs but everything!!!
Lesson learned for now...but I'm guessing I will have to be reminded!!! Unless I start making a list of "God lessons to remember."
3 comments:
I have the planning disease too....but thanks to you it has gotten worse. Meals...but it is for the better, thanks!!
That is helpful planning though as long as we stay flexible. How is the meal planning going?
I'm so proud of you! :-)
Post a Comment