Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My Labor Day Project!

So the one thing I really wanted to do is sew my new table cloth on Labor Day. I have a square table that is IMPOSSIBLE to find a table cloth for and I want to make my table a little more "diner-like" without replacing it. I thought a good table cloth would be the way to go. It took a large part of the day with breaks for lunch and such...but I am thrilled with how it turned out. There was just SO much fabric to work with that it took a while.

This is the fabric pattern on the top/front of the cloth. I love that it has so many colors. I can use my black and white dishes and red accents but it has all of those "frosted" colors from the era as well. It is just FUN!


This is the finished project. The backing is a small red gingham. I will not likely sew with that again until I forget how cross-eyed it made me.

So the finished product is reversible depending on my mood or occasion. I am very pleased with it. Now I don't pretend that a household with 3 small boys is a good place for a tablecloth. So I have on order clear vinyl that is stitchable and I will be making a cover to go over it (not only to protect it but by my design it should hold it in place-if my design design works as well in real life as it does in my head. LOL). I am hoping to put to-go menus or other paper "collectibles" from our Route 66 trip under the plastic too. It should help break up the busyness of the patterns.

I also have enough fabric to make a matching valance for my kitchen window and (hopefully) for over the sliding glass door. :)

1 comment:

Carie said...

I love your new tablecloth! I have a 9 patch pattern sketched out on graph paper and the fabric for a "fallish" one.....my table is a wide, long oval....impossible to buy for also. I had clear vinyl on our table for a long time but I found the water spots drove me nuts and were almost impossible to keep off. Every time someone sat down there was something new. LOL So I am planning on just having several and washing as needed....what else are you going to do??? :)