My boys are all boy and are not avid readers. They are good readers but they would just rather be running around, or playing legos or cars, or anything that involves a possible trip to the ER and is loud enough to give me a serious headache.
Enter www.bookadventure.org
It is a lot like I imagine AR at public school is (but I don't know this since my kids have never done it and I am too old to have used it myself). They read a book and then take a quiz. Since they have never really taken any tests, they think the quizzes are great! AND THEY ARE ASKING TO READ!! I don't pretend that it will make this easy forever...but it is a way to encourage them without me nagging. It will also give them some direction when picking out books at the library instead of yanking books off of shelves willy nilly. Plus they can win prizes!
This is them reading, voluntarily, today. It makes me so happy!
Of course, now that school is finished for the day and they are crashing cars and yelling...that is more like what I am accustomed to! :) But I'm hoping Aiden and Maverick will take to reading another book in the afternoons when Griffin is napping...they need to find something quiet to do during that time.
No comments:
Post a Comment